Danielle Chambers

Many would perceive Danielle Chambers as the ‘strong, silent type.’

However, if you ask any of her teammates or her coach, she’s a leader.

“I wish she could be more vocal,” coach Kim Barnes Arico said, “but she shows her leadership in the way she plays.”

The Brooklyn native, now a senior at St. John’s, has played strongly the past two years for the Red Storm. Last year she averaged 5.0 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. She also achieved a double-double scoring 13 points and grabbing 13 rebounds during a game with Colgate.

“She’s a hustler, she’s a worker, I think everybody respects her, respects the way she plays,” Barnes Arico said.

Chambers was also a key player in the victory over Boston College with 10 points, six rebounds and four steals. She was later injured causing her to sit out on the final three games of the regular season.

She came back during post season with three blocks, a career high, and six rebounds in the first round of the WNIT at Delaware.

During her sophomore year, she played in 20 games averaging 8.4 points and 7.1 rebounds per game. She also achieved her season high double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds.

Chambers feels strongly about her instincts and observations.

“I have a knack for knowing what people are going to do before they do it,” Chambers said.

During her days at Bishop Loughlin she achieved a collective 1,000 career points and was honored with Daily News All-Star status during her senior year.

“She’s tough, she’s physical and she will probably guard the best inside player on any team we play,” Barnes Arico said.

Perhaps what is most amazing is Chambers’ strong bond with her teammates, who have said that she has a strong effect on them.

“She’s great, she makes me want to play harder,” Angela Clark said. “She brings so much spark to the game.”

When it comes to skills, her teammates acknowledge her perseverance.

“She’s like the Energizer bunny,” Clark joked. “She keeps going and going and going for rebounds.”

Shying away from crediting herself with certain success, she sees herself as more of a team player than a leader.

“She doesn’t take recognition for it but she’s definitely our leader,” Mercedes Dukes said. “We all look up to her.”

However, if Chambers is to emerge as a leader among the other players, she must learn to translate her strong playing style into a vocal presence.

“I wish that for our team we had somebody that was more vocal,” Barnes Arico said, “because I believe that would truly help the team.”