Advice from the features section

Dear Devil’s Advocate,

I recently finished an internship in the business field, which I’m currently studying in. I thought it would be a great opportunity to get some experience and possibly lead to a job when I graduate in the spring. And, in fact, it did. I was offered a job there as soon as I graduate with a salary I definitely can’t complain about. Problem is, I didn’t like my experience there at all. I’m starting to realize that maybe this field really isn’t for me. I’m about to graduate with a degree in something I don’t even think I like. What should I do?

—Bummed business major

Dear Bummed,

That is definitely terrifying. Most people never think that they will spend four years studying something that will hopefully become their career and later find out that they absolutely hate it.

I hope you realize that no job is ever going to be perfect. Very few people in this world wake up every single day bright-eyed and chipper over the thought of going to work. There are good parts and bad parts to every career. If you sit down and start to think about the field you supposedly “hate,” you might find that the good things, like salary, outweigh the bad. If that is the case, then you just have to grow up and learn to deal with it.

On the other hand, you should at least mildly enjoy your career, especially in the beginning. If you truly hated all aspects of your experience, maybe you should consider taking a different direction with your life. I know that sounds absolutely awful, considering you spent money and time studying business these last four years, but things can still work out for you.

There are plenty of people out there who majored in one thing and ended up working in something completely different.

Just spend a little more time thinking about the situation. It will all work out. Of course, I can’t guarantee this, but it’s the best advice I can offer.

Dear Devil’s Advocate,

I broke up with my girlfriend a few months ago, but we continued to talk to each other pretty regularly. I recently suggested that we get back together because it just made sense to me. Even though she was kind of dating another guy, she seemed really into the idea at first. But as I kept asking her for a final decision, she started saying she was confused and didn’t know what to do. I want to be with her, but I’m sick of having to keep asking her to be with me. What should I do?

—Beaten by love

Dear Beaten,

Some might consider me a traitor to my gender for saying this, but girls can be really annoying sometimes. That is not to say that guys do not have their faults in relationships as well, but it always seems like girls are the one that “need time” or are just perpetually confused about situations.

Nevertheless, just give up on this chick. Whether she is genuinely confused or just likes the attention you are giving her really does not matter.

The bottom line is that she is stringing you along. If she truly cared about you, she would give you a definitive answer either way and end this misery.

There are a million of girls out there that you can be happy with. Work on finding one of them, and leave this girl and her buckets of drama and confusion for the new guy in her life. Good luck to him (but not really, because we don’t care about him either.)