Gifts from Broadway

Christmas is a season filled with family friends and sharing. It is also cluttered with wrapping paper, wish lists, and cards. For those of you interested in shopping with the true holiday spirit in mind, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is the perfect site. All proceeds go towards AIDS and HIV research and supporting those in the entertainment industry living with the diseases.

Below are some of the most popular gift ideas for Broadway fans or the hard to shop for (and they’re mercifully inexpensive!) from http://www.bcefa.org/):

1. Broadway’s Greatest Gifts: Carols For A Cure 2005 ($20.00): cast members from current major musicals get together and sing Christmas carols on this two disc CD set. Songs this year include Avenue Q’s “Go, Tell it on the Mountain,” Sweet Charity’s “Joy to the World,” Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ “O Come All Ye Faithful,” and “Silent Night” from the Mamma Mia! cast. CDs from previous years are also available.

2. Autographed CDs ($20-$35): many artists offer signed cast CDs or personal CDs to BC/EFA. Headliners like Idina Menzel, Adam Pascal and Bernadette Peters are available, but hurry copies are limited.

3. Ornaments ($7.00-$20.00): for a traditional ornament, BC/EFA releases an ornament featuring the current Broadway season show logos on a glass globe. Ornaments shaped like the red ribbon are also available. This design also comes as a wind chime.

4. Christmas Cards ($25-$30 a set): every gift needs a card, and BC/EFA offers a variety of styles. Popular sellers include a wreath covered in red ribbons, and Broadway Cheer which features different caricatures of famous characters in a festive setting. Where else can you find Velma (Chicago) and King Arthur (Spamalot) hanging ornaments while the Phantom (Phantom of the Opera) plays holiday tunes?

5. Red Ribbon Merchandise ($5 and up): the symbol of AIDS and HIV supporters, the red ribbon can be found on jewelry, mugs, and watches.

Of course the best gift that can be given is a personal donation (which is tax deductible) or one in the name of a friend.