Students deal with stress as semester ends

St. John’s University students along with millions of other students in the United States and Canada, are currently suffering from high stress and fatigue levels as final exams approach.

According to a survey conducted by the Princeton Review and Wrigley, over 85 percent of students complained about stress and tension during exam periods. As a result of this, students tend to take on unhealthy habits such as late night snacking, excess consumption of caffeine, and late night studying.

The highest ranking among the mentioned habits was increased snacking, with 76 percent of the students surveyed admitting to doing so.

The urge for caffeine is felt by 62 percent, while almost 40 percent find themselves studying during the “graveyard shift.”

“How students manage exam-time stress can have a huge impact on their ability to perform under pressure,” said Robin Raskin, director of communications of The Princeton Review. “Today’s students feel an intense pressure to achieve good grades, and choosing poor stress-management techniques can work against their scholastic goals.”

Raskin said that an unhealthy diet and loss of sleep are “sure-fire ways” for students not to perform at their best during exam time.

To cope with the extra pressure, some students have resorted to healthier methods of keeping their sanity.

“I listen to music,” said Elona Jones, a freshman from Maryland.

Jones’ choice of coping seemed to be the most popular among those interviewed in the survey, and for some of the students here at St. John’s. As for preferred music of choice for studying by students, the classical genre got the most votes.

Working up a sweat also ranked high among the alternatives, as some students said evening trips to the campus gym are a sure stress reliever.

When asked about the issue, Greg Duran, a Bronx native attending St. John’s, said, “I work out at the gym and I write music too.”

The study showed that the everyday habit of chewing gum is very helpful when it comes to trying to ease tension. Approximately 41 percent of students said they chew gum to fight stress, while 23 percent said they use the habit to increase focus and concentration. Researchers have actually found that the chewing of gum stimulates certain areas of the brain that may be related to relieving stress.

A further study even found that chewing gum helps students with retaining and retrieving information.

Study experts at The Princeton Review have offered some tips to help students deal with the stress of final exams, which begin officially on Monday Dec. 12 here at St. John’s.

Firstly, the experts recommend that students try socializing with friends during study-breaks.

Secondly, students are advised to experiment until they find the time of day that best suits them for studying. They should pick a time when they are most alert and able to concentrate.