Star duo not in lineup to

Kia Wright and Angela Clark are the stars of the women’s basketball team. Thus, it came as quite a surprise to find that they did not start Sunday afternoon’s game against West Virginia at Madison Square Garden. It was not a matter of talent, obviously, but because they were late for a pre-game shoot-around.

“It wasn’t a disappointment to me,” Clark said. “It just made me learn from the mistake. I live and I learn from it.”

The break did not take them off their games, however. They led the team with 19 points each, despite missing this first few minutes.

Clark also contributed with seven rebounds.

“I was a little nervous when I got out there,” said Wright, to the amusement of her coach. “But I just got into the flow of the game and did whatever it took for the team to win.”

The rest of the Red Storm, however, held its own without the pair.

One of the leaders was Greeba Barlow, who finished with 13 points.

“It was a big boost for our team – that we kept up the level and continued to play above West Virginia,” the senior said. “And I knew, as soon as they came in [that] it was going to get even higher.”

NOTES

Tiina Sten’s second game at Madison Square Garden was special.

The Finland native started her first game of the season with the bonus of it being at the Garden and her team beating West Virginia 74-69.

But that wasn’t the reason.

Sitting in the purple seats of Section 82 were 10 family friends and their children who flew in from Finland to see her play.

The majority were women’s basketball players who were teammates of the sophomore’s mom Leena in Finland.

“I’m so far away from home so when I have people coming to my games I have more confidence,” said Sten.

They were even waving Finnish flags.

“It felt like home,” she said. “It was really nice.”

Joseph Staszewski contributed to this story