STORM DRUBS DANES

The wind was blowing strong out to right field, but Ryan Mahoney’s blasts would have been long gone even without it.

His two home runss helped St. John’s to victory Tuesday night in a 17-1 rout over Albany.

Mahoney pinch-hit for Brendan Monaghan in the 7th inning when the Red Storm led the Great Danes, 6-1.

A rally sparked by a lead-off triple by second baseman Sam DeLuca was consummated with a Mahoney 3-run home run hit deep over the right-field wall.

It put the Red Storm up 9-1, but he was not done yet.

Coming up to bat in the very next inning, Mahoney crushed another one – this time all the way to Utopia Parkway.

It gave the team the last of its 17 runs, a season-high mark.

“I just wanted to help the team,” Mahoney said. “[Sam DeLuca] told me what the kid was throwing and I just tried hitting the first strike I saw.”

The offensive outburst also included home runs by Chris Joachim and Gil Zayas, triples by Will Vogl and Ken Devenney, and doubles by Vogl, DeLuca and Zayas.

Lost in all the slugging was a well-pitched game, one that seemed like a pitcher’s duel throughout the first six innings.

Jared Yecker, in his second start of the year, pitched an excellent seven innings, yielding only three hits, two walks and one run.

His curveball was crisp and coaxed Albany’s batters into weak grounders and lazy flyballs all afternoon.

“The wind probably took a few miles per hour off my fastball but it helped my curveball,” Yecker said. “It was working pretty well.”

Nick Murphy, the Albany (3-10) starting pitcher, went a solid 5.1 innings and gave up three earned runs.

Zayas homered but not many others hit Murphy hard.

The Johnnies finally broke through in the sixth on back-to-back RBI singles by Chris Anninos and Brendan Monaghan.

“Once we got to the bullpen, we hit them pretty hard,” Blankmeyer said.

St. John’s (6-6) followed the sixth up with innings of eight and five runs apiece while their bullpen pitched the final three innings scoreless to wrap the game up in a blowout.

“I can’t be disappointed,” Blankmeyer said. “They did some nice things.”