UNSTOPPA-BULL

The softball team entered the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader against the University of South Florida in a situation it had been in five times previous: trying to win after being shut out.

The bats that had been the hallmark of the team on this young season failed to show up against Florida where the team lost both games 2-0 and 3-2, respectively.

In game two, the St. John’s (20-16, 3-5 Big East) offense faired slightly better, but still not well enough to garner the win.

The team got its first run of the day on a Danielle Estrada sacrifice fly that scored Blair Belloni and gave the Red Storm a 1-0 lead.

After a defensive error allowing the Bulls (32-18, 4-0) to tie the score at one in the bottom of the fourth, St. John’s retook the lead when Lauren Lupinetti was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Unfortunately, the lead didn’t last as Krista Holle scored in the bottom of the inning on an Ashley Bullion double to left centerfield.

Florida eventually won the game in the bottom of the 11th when Carley Griffin hit a walk-off home run and ended the extra-inning affair.

USF 2, St. John’s 0

In game one, Lisa Geer threw six innings, allowing five hits and only two earned runs. Both runs came in the bottom of the second inning when a Britta Giddens sacrifice fly capped the scoring.

Unfortunately for Geer, the team couldn’t bail her out of her one bad inning. The bats didn’t do much, as they mustered only four hits and saddled Geer with the loss as her record fell to 7-6 on the year.

St. John’s 4, Louisville 1

Loren Anguiano’s two-run home run gave the team an early 2-0 lead, and Kim Lerch made it stand up.

Lerch threw seven innings and allowed one run on six hits to improve to 7-4 on the year. The win marks St. John’s first victory against a nationally ranked team since the 2003 campaign.

Louisville 3, St. John’s 0

Lisa Geer spun 5.1 innings allowing only one hit but her control was off as she walked six Louisville batters.

Catherine Bishop pitched a complete-game shutout while striking out seven. Jo Sherlock led St. John’s in hits with two.