Lacrosse outdone by Statesmen

Sometimes all a team needs is a little history on its side. In a battle between a rebuilding program in only its second season versus one which now has 700 all-time victories, the more historical program emerged victorious as Hobart defeated St. John’s 12-7.

Sophomore Tom Michaelsen kept his streak of scoring at least one goal in each game this season alive with his second hat trick of the year but the Storm (4-8, 0-6 ECAC) could not overcome the Statesmen (6-6, 1-5) attack.

Hobart was led by Nick Currie and Daryl Veltman, who both registered hat tricks.

Veltman staked the Statesmen to an early 2-0 lead in the first quarter of the rainy Saturday ECAC matchup at Boswell Field, but freshman Bobby Fitton answered back with a Red Storm goal to pull the Storm within one.

Hobart wasted no time responding, as the Statesmen scored the next five of six goals to make the score 7-3 at halftime.

In the third period, after allowing another Hobart goal, the Storm went on a vicious streak scoring three straight goals to put the game within reach at 8-6. Michaelsen scored the first of the three goals, sparking the rally.

But Hobart’s David O’Quinn scored a go-ahead goal to open the fourth period and the Statesmen never looked back.

Michaelsen’s only support came from Fitton, who scored twice, and from sophomore Justin McDonnell who also scored twice. Sophomore goalie Dave Saccente got in the way of 12 Statesmen shots.

The Red Storm is now 4-8 (0-6 in ECAC) after a 4-4 start, a losing streak that features the likes of Rutgers, UMass, Penn State and now Hobart. The loss also leaves the Storm with only one more opportunity to win an ECAC Conference game next Saturday when they face Fairfield at home.