Welcome Back 2006

Welcome Back 2006 – Throwback concert

Last week, the “Welcome Back 2006” Concert, sponsored by Student Government, Inc. featured Lit, a modern rock band from California who hit it big in 1999 with their single, “My Own Worst Enemy.”

This annual concert was free of charge compared to the usual double digit entrance fee. The concert was only open to students, staff, faculty and administrators. Because to this seclusion and a lack of advertising, a crowd small enough to fill a club-sized venue came out to show support. The small act by no means filled up Carnesecca Arena, but they did put on a worthwhile show for loyal fans.

For a rock band synonymous with hard partying and lyrics foretelling of their habitual drinking, the group was professional and open to the college-aged crowd. Lead singer and guitarist A. Jay Popoff mentioned their love of performing for college audiences which lead them to do an entire tour with gigs only on college campuses.

Lit performed songs new and old. Most popular were tracks from their 1999 album A Place in the Sun.

Before and after this concert many St. John’s students were unfamiliar with this group of four guys as Lit has been on a three year hiatus. Their last album, Atomic, was released in 2001 with mediocre sales. The band went back into the studio for a year and released their self-titled album in 2004.

Advertising for this concert was summed up with a couple of “Announcements” on St. John’s Central. The usual posters, flyers, and word of mouth advertising were almost non-existent for this show. Some students were lead to believe Danity Kane (the “Band” known to P. Diddy followers) would be an act in attendance. Last-minute changes left the show with the one major act, Lit, and DJ S. to open up the show.

Previous concerts including “Just Press Play” presented by Student Government, Inc. featured a plethora of acts from hip-hop to rock with artists such as Rhymefest, Nina Sky, The Roots and All-American Rejects. The letdown in the numbers of attendees may be attributed to its lack of genres of music for our diverse student body.

No concerts are scheduled for the immediate future but if this school year’s musical entertainment is up to par with previous years, St. John’s should have much more in store.