Softball off to hot start in fall season

The St. John’s softball team is already off to a quick start, having won the first two games of their fall season.

They opened the season with a victory 6-5 over Adelphi followed by a win 5-2 over Fairfield on Sept. 17. Catcher Tiffany D’Alessandro went a combined 4-for-6, with four runs and three doubles. The rookie also knocked in two runs and stole a pair of bases. Second baseman Tami Hill and shortstop Loren Anguiano each had three hits.

In the game against Adelphi, St. John’s scored six runs in the final two innings of the game.

D’Alessandro hit two of her doubles and drove in two RBIs in this game.

The first double she hit started the rally in the bottom of the fifth inning. The second at-bat drove in the two runs that provided a 5-1 lead. Tami Hill brought in the last run of the game for St. John’s.

In the second game against Fairfield, it was pitching that led the Red Storm to their second victory of the day. Pitcher Lisa Geer pitched a complete game and struck out eight in seven innings.

Once again, D’Alessandro continued to swing her hot bat in this game as she hit a single and stole second base in the third inning. Hill drove her home. In the sixth inning, Anguiano took one deep and over the fence for a solo home run. It was the only home run in three home games at Red Storm Field.

As for the rest of the Red Storm’s schedule, they have four games remaining in the fall schedule. The last two games will show St. John’s facing Dowling and Marist next Saturday.