SJU ranked in top 361 by Princeton Review

St. John’s Univeristy has been included in the Princeton Review’s selection of the 361 best colleges in America for 2007. The annual list, released recently, included St John’s in its rankings for the fifth time.

The Princeton Review ranks schools by their own investigative research as well as by students’ testimonials. The book includes various traditional categories like academic and financial aid statistics. The guide is unique in that it also takes into account information concerning opinionative issues such as housing, food, and other quality of life issues.

The University was not only included in the positive categories “361 Best Colleges” and “Best in the Northeast,” but also less flattering lists such as “Least Happy Students” and “Professors Make Themselves Scarce”. Students, however, may feel otherwise. Some fault the Review for this reason, claiming that some categories are based entirely on opinion.

“I have never this found this to be true in my professors, especially in the English Department,” said senior Diane O’Shea of the “Professors make themselves scarce” ranking.

The Princeton Review is a popular college guide that is geared toward not only students, but parents as well. The annual guide contains over 800 pages of unique and useful information. Some original Princeton Review categories include “great campus food” and “dorms are like palaces.”

This is just another part of the increasing recognition of St. John’s. The school was also ranked in Intel’s Top-Ten “Most Unwired Colleges.” With the recent addition of a Homecoming to St. John’s calendar, the school is attempting to not only increase school spirit but also strengthen the school’s image as well. The campus is also undergoing renovations, including a new University Center.

The Princeton Review states that outstanding academics are the most important feature upon which schools are picked. The St. John’s University profile may provide current students with information they were not even aware of, including the school’s most popular major – Communications.