Volleyball Breaks out Brooms Again

Sweeps have become the expected result of St. John’s volleyball matches. The team is just that dominating and they showed their skill off Sunday afternoon at Marquette. With their 3-0 (30-21, 30-21, 30-21) win, they improve to 27-1 (12-0 in the Big East.)

The Red Storm, who are on a 17-match unbeaten streak, were led by stand out senior Patti Hardimon, who posted 13 kills and 13 digs for her 14th double-double of the season.

After an even start to the first game with the scored knotted 4-4, Hui Ping Huang responded with back-to-back kills, and the Red Storm never looked back. St. John’s controlled game two from the start, but a rally by Marquette pulled them within one point. However Huang once again came through, providing St. John’s with four kills as the Red Storm rolled on to take game two.

Game three was dominated through and through by St. John’s, with a solid combination on both the defensive and offensive side of the ball. The Red Storm went on to take game three by a score of 30-21, and the match with a sweep of 3-0.

The Red Storm also received solid efforts from Wioleta Leszczynska, who posted a match high 40 assists, and Kathleen Yee, who led the defensive efforts with 22 digs. Huang contributed 14 kills and eight digs.

St. John’s will look forward to a top seeding in the NCAA tournament as they finish out their season at home against Rutgers and Villanova on Nov. 11 and 12, respectively.