Kappa Kafe Poetry Session holds third annual event

The Mu Pi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi welcomed over 36 guests to their Third Annual Kappa Kafe Poetry Session in the UC Lounge on Tuesday.

The event began at 7:30 p.m., which opened with a jazz band playing with the lights turned off, setting the mood for a very successful night of poignant verse.

The poetry and song lyrics read throughout the night covered a wide range of issues that are important to college and life in general; race, addiction, love, lust, heartache, heritage, education, violence, and rape were all delineated.

As a rule, there is no clapping at a Kappa Kafe Poetry Session – only snapping. The audience is encouraged to snap their fingers in response to the writers’ work, not clap their hands.

“It creates a good atmosphere,” said guest Chris Balzano.

Kappa Kafe was first introduced in the spring of 1994 by Edward Smith III. Omar Morris, a St. John’s graduate and advisor to the Mu Pi Chapter, said that, “Kappa Kafe started to give students a way to express their creativity among their peers.”

The inspiration for the red light special poetry session came from Smith after he recited a few poems at an event the fraternity was holding. Other poets came to Smith expressing their wish to go to an “open mic event,” but were too nervous to speak in front of strangers. Thus, the concept for the Kappa Kafe was born.

At the event students are able to recite their songs, poetry, rap lyrics, and just speak their mind in an open mic format, but the atmosphere is much more familiar. The performers are amongst friends and family, so there is no reason for inhibitions.