Kitchen Withdraws from University

Freshman guard Derwin Kitchen has withdrawn from St. John’s University, according to a University press release. Head men’s basketball coach Norm Roberts announced that the withdrawal is the result of Kitchen’s inability to satisfy the NCAA’s eligibility requirements in accordance with NCAA Bylaw 14.3.1.

Kitchen, who was suspended for the first two games of the Red Storm’s season, was a highly touted recruit out of Jacksonville Raines High School in Florida. Originally signed to play for Florida University, Kitchen failed to meet the university’s academic requirements. After passing the exam a half season later at Florida Prep, St. John’s landed the 6’3″ swingman.

Upon his enrollment into the University, Kitchen was declared eligible for athletically-related financial aid, team practice, and competition, according to the release.

The withdrawal is apparently the result of “an ongoing evaluation of his academic credentials by the University in conjunction with the NCAA,” according to the release.

“We are all disappointed that this situation did not work out,” said Roberts. “Derwin is a good young man and we wish him all the best in the future.”

NCAA BYLAWS:

NCAA Bylaw 14.3.1 – Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition?A student-athlete who enrolls in a member institution as an entering freshman with no previous full-time college attendance shall meet the following academic requirements, as certified by an initial-eligibility clearinghouse approved by the Executive Committee, and any applicable institutional and conference regulations, to be considered a qualifier and thus be eligible for financial aid, practice and competition during the first academic year in residence.

14.3.1.1 – Qualifier – A qualifier is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the following academic qualifications:
(a) A minimum cumulative grade-point average as specified in Bylaw

14.3.1.1.1 (based on a maximum 4.000) in a successfully completed core curriculum of at least 14 academic courses per Bylaw 14.3.1.2, including the following: English (4 years), Mathematics (2 years), Natural or physical science (2 years), Additional courses in English, mathematics, or natural or physical science (1 year), social science (2 years), Additional academic courses (3 years).
(b) A minimum combined score on the SAT verbal and math sections or a minimum sum score on the ACT as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1.1. The required SAT or ACT score must be achieved under national testing conditions on a national testing date [i.e., no residual (campus) testing or regional testing dates] except that a state-administered ACT may be used to meet the test score requirements.