Inferno Reviews: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny Soundtrack

Still under the impression that they’re the greatest rock band on the face of the Earth, Jack Black and Kyle Gass, aka Tenacious D, are back with the soundtrack under the same name of their new film: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny.

All but one song off the soundtrack can be found in the film itself, that’s no big surprise. The one song that fails to contribute to the film takes a stab at our government. Entitled “The Government Totally Sucks,” the song revolves around why our government sucks at what they do, clearly, but in their comedic fashion.

The comedy aspect is heavy, as it should with be any Tenacious D song. Since they’re based around the movie, they tell more of a story than the first album. There’s a blatant hint of rock opera to the soundtrack, but only really through the opening track, “Kickapoo,” and “Beezleboss.”

The two aforementioned songs are of the most memorable tracks, along with others such as “Dude (I Totally Miss You)” and “Master Exploder,” but it’s almost a 50/50 split of what will remain memorable from the soundtrack and what won’t. However, if you’re a big fan of Sasquatch, you’re more than in for a treat with “Papagenu (He’s My Sassafrass).”

The album is incredibly funny, but will leave the most hardcore of Tenacious D fans in need of something more. For a sophomore album of sorts, it falls short of the comedic genius of the self titled first album. The songs won’t be leaving a lasting impression such songs as “Wonderboy” and “Tribute” have thus far.

Despite that, the soundtrack will at least satisfy fans of The D, not only because of its quality, but because they’re finally getting a second album after 5 years (12 years since their formation). It’ll will also help pull in a new wave of fans who are only recently being exposed to The D (as will the film itself). The fact that the music is very relatable to really helps. Not that some listeners are also children of the Yeti or begging Ronnie James Dio to save them, but they make you feel that you can rock just as much as them in your own living room. The bottom line: the joke of Tenacious D still runs strong with this soundtrack.