Devil’s Advocate

Dear Devil’s Advocate,
I have been dating my boyfriend for a few years and things were going great. Lately, however, I feel like I’m being pushed away and he doesn’t care about me as much as he says he does. I have confronted him about it (more than once) but I’m afraid he won’t change. What should I do?

-Jilted Girlfriend

Dear Jilted,
Do you remember the first time you fell in love? All those “lovey dovey” moments and enough romance to fill up a fairy tale novel, and suddenly, it stops. Apparently this is what has happened in your case. To be honest, I don’t think it’s something worth freaking out over.

It seems like your relationship has reached a comfort level where it’s no longer in the cloud nine stage, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that your boyfriend doesn’t love you. You may be missing the romance you once had, but if he is acting distant you should try speaking to him and find out if any new developments are going on in his life. Communication is key in these situations, but if he isn’t ready to speak about it give him space.

Sometimes time is all that is needed for situations like yours to clear up. If you feel that it is becoming a big problem then it would be important for you to give him an ultimatum.

Dear Devil’s Advocate,
I am searching for the right graduate school to attend and I’m running into a problem… I have no idea what to get a master’s degree in! I am currently a journalism major and I love it, but I don’t want to have another degree in something I’m pursuing now. What do you think?

-Master’s in What?

Dear Master’s,
Graduate school is certainly a big step to take. There are a variety of subjects you can receive a master’s in, but selecting a topic isn’t always as simple as choosing a pair of shoes. If you are in a rut, perhaps you could continue down the journalism path since you are familiar with it.

Another option may be to pursue a master’s in English since you already have experience with writing and doing plenty of reading. You can even pursue a degree in a topic that has always fascinated you, but you never explored in college.
I would say think about how you declared your major. Was it your passion? If so, use that as your guide. My advice is follow your basic instincts.

If making this decision continues to be a problem for you, try getting guidance from your advisor or someone who has experience in helping students with these issues. Good luck.

Dear Devil’s Advocate,
I have noticed that every person I’m friends with plans on studying abroad. I really want to spend a semester outside of the U.S., but my part-time job and responsibilities at home are holding me back. I’m afraid to break the news to my boss and what will happen if I tell him that I won’t be around this summer. Help!

-Study Abroad a No-Go

Dear Study,
As great as it may be to spend a wonderful evening in Venice or in Madrid, reality does hit when you realize it isn’t that easy to pick up and leave your obligations back home.

Maybe you can consider traveling in Europe at another opportunity if you feel your daily schedule is already overwhelming; however, Europe will always be there and you can experience it calmly and during your own time. For now, it may be best to concentrate on your most important priorities first.

If you still feel that you want to go this summer, you have to face the music regardless and let your boss know you will be away for a while. If you are a consistent and responsible worker, he will understand that you deserve a vacation and a break from time to time.

Need advice? Please send your inquiries to the Devil’s Advocate: [email protected]