Guards Avery Patterson and Ricky Torres to transfer

Coach Norm Roberts announced last Wednesday that two St. John’s guards, sophomore Ricky Torres and junior Avery Patterson, would be transferring to another institution following the Spring semester. Their destinations were not disclosed.

Although Torres’ move was expected because of the minimal role he played on the court, Patterson’s transfer was not.
Torres played in 27 of the Johnnies’ 31 games, but only averaged slightly more than seven minutes played and 2.3 points per game. However, he did shoot 36 percent from the arc and 76.2 percent from the line.

“I am grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to play at St. John’s for two seasons,” Torres told RedStormSports.com. “I wish my teammates ‘good luck’ moving forward as I head into a new situation, hopefully where I play a bigger role.”

Patterson, on the other hand, played in all 31 games and was third on the team in scoring, averaging 10.4 points per game, leading the team with 72 threes made in only his first season with St. John’s. He was second in steals with 26 on the season and fourth in rebounding, falling a bit short to point guard junior captain Eugene Lawrence, with 3.7 per game.

Coach Roberts told the New York Daily News that there was a “difference in philosophy” between himself and Patterson.
“He [Patterson] thinks it’s better to transfer,” Roberts told the Daily News. “I think it’s better we part ways, too. I wish him well.”

“I enjoyed my time at St. John’s, it just didn’t work out the way that we all would have liked,” Patterson said in a press release. “I enjoyed playing with my team, and I wish them luck in the future.”

“We wish Avery and Ricky the best,” Roberts said. “Both are young men who put in a tremendous amount of hard work and effort in representing St. John’s basketball, and both will leave our University in good academic standing.”