Softball drops four straight to DePaul, Notre Dame

In the last game of a disappointing series for St. John’s (3-20, 0-4 Big East), both the Red Storm and DePaul remained scoreless until the middle of the fifth inning when a St. John’s error led to DePaul’s first run of the game. DePaul added another to its total when a Tarulli Fischer two-run homerun gave DePaul a 3-0 lead. The Red Storm got on the board in the top of the sixth on a Blue Demon error, but it was not enough, as DePaul added another run on another error for the final margin. On the day, Brandy Reyes went 3-for-6 and Loren Anguiano went 3-for-7 with three runs and an RBI.

DePaul 8, St. John’s 5
St. John’s jumped out to an early lead in the first game of the day against DePaul. Red Storm sophomore Roxann Struble grooved the first pitch she saw and deposited it over the leftfield fence for a grand slam and her first collegiate homerun. DePaul crept back into the game when Marcy Wilus singled home Megan Sheaks. The score was evened when Sandy Vojak hit a three-run homerun. DePaul added another three runs in the second which was capped off by another Wilus hit, this time a homerun, to give DePaul a 7-4 lead. St. John’s answered in the top of the third with an Anguiano homerun to cut the deficit to 7-5, but DePaul added another run to close out the scoring. Struble finished the day going 2-for-6 with four RBIs.

Notre Dame 3, St. John’s 0
The two-game set against Notre Dame provided a different opponent but the same results, as the team was blanked both times. The game was scoreless up until the fourth inning. After St. John’s was unable to capitalize with two on and one out, Notre Dame (12-12, 2-0) came to life. Christine Lux’s sacrifice fly scored Sara Smith to give the Irish a 1-0 lead. The Fighting Irish added another run one inning later when Linda Kohan’s sacrifice made it 2-0. Notre Dame added another run when an error allowed Katie Laing to score and provide the final margin.

Notre Dame 8, St. John’s 0
The first game of the afternoon was scoreless until the middle of the third when Notre Dame’s Laing hit a two-run double. Laing scored two batters later to make it a three-run deficit for St. John’s. Notre Dame added another three-run inning in the fifth and another two runs in the sixth.