Barnes tosses no-hitter as Johnnies sweep G-town

Scott Barnes tossed his first career no-hitter Friday night, befuddling Georgetown and never allowing them recovered, as the St. John’s baseball team swept the three game weekend series from their Big East opponents. The sweep keeps the Red Storm within one game of first place Rutgers and tied for second with Louisville in the Big East Conference with a record of 11-4 and 25-12 overall.

The Red Storm closed out the series with a 4-2 victory on Sunday. Jared Yecker notched the win in his first relief appearance of the year, tossing two scoreless innings. The win is his team leading fifth of the year.

The big story of the day for the Storm came off the bat of Chris Anninos in the top of the eleventh inning. The outfielder slugged his fourth home run of the season, a two run shot that broke a 2-2 tie and sent St. John’s back to Queens on a seven game winning streak.

After St. John’s had jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning off a Gil Zayas sacrifice fly, Georgetown took advantage of an error by Sam DeLuca and tied the score 1-1 in the bottom of the second. The Hoyas would later score a second run with a sac fly to take a 2-1 lead in the forth. St. John’s tied up the game in the eighth inning off a Georgetown error that allowed Brian Kemp to cross home. That would set the stage for
Anninos who put the finishing touches on the Hoyas.

Ryan Mahoney made sure that there would be no emotional letdown following the dramatic Friday night victory, driving in Brendan Monaghan in the top of the ninth inning to break a 2-2 tie with Georgetown on Saturday night. The game winning single was the first baseman’s third hit of the game and his only RBI of the contest.

The Red Storm pounded the Hoyas after Mahoney’s single as shortstop Jeff Grantham followed with a two-run triple. Chris Joachim, Sam Deluca and Gil Zayas also contributed an RBI each in the ninth.

Lefty starter Matt Tosoni pitched well, but was left with a no decision after tossing 5 1/3 innings and allowing just two runs. Ryan Cole earned the win after throwing 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief.

Scott Barnes pitched the first no-hitter under the 12 year tenure of head coach Ed Blankmeyer on Friday night against Georgetown in a dominating victory in Washington.

The tall lefty sophomore struck out 14 and walked just three batters. His performance included five 1-2-3 innings, in three of which he struck out the side. He finished his outing just as strong as he started, fanning Georgetown’s Sean Baumann for the final out.

“That was the first no-hitter I’ve seen in my 12 years here at St. John’s,” head coach Ed Blankmeyer told RedStormSports.com. “I haven’t even been in a situation where a guy
was close. He was dominant for most of the night, they only hit maybe two balls hard, but as in all no-hitters he had some help behind him and a little bit of luck.”

Barnes’ outing overshadowed another spectacular display of offense from St. John’s. The team scored their 16 runs off 20 hits, powered by homers from Anthony Smith and Ryan
Mahoney who combined for four RBI. Leadoff hitter Brian Kemp sparked the lineup with a 4 for 6 day at the plate, driving in two runs. St. John’s will next travel to Albany before playing a three-game weekend series in Morgantown at West Virginia