Storm split series with Pittsburgh

St. John’s senior softball pitcher Kim Lerch, won her eighth game of the season on Sunday, helping the Red Storm split a doubleheader against Big East rival Pittsburgh. Despite losing the first game 5-1, St. John’s bounced back in game 2, winning by the score of 8-2.

In game one, Red Storm pitcher Lisa Geer struck out 11 batters in seven innings, but could not stop the Panthers from getting off to a quick lead. Pittsburgh’s Valerie Mahalik scored an early two-RBI double and eventually would bring home four runs. In the end,
the Panthers ran away with the game, winning 5-1.

Game two proved to be a much better outing for St. John’s. Pitcher Kim Lerch allowed only four hits and one run in the entire game to win her third consecutive start. In addition, the Red Storm offense kicked it into high gear. Although the Panthers’ Sheena Hellon started off the game with a solo-home run, St. John’s sophomore Roxann Struble and rookie Brandy Reyes answered with a single and double, respectively. After a costly Pittsburgh error, the Storm gained a 2-1 lead.

St. John’s continued to drive in runs. Danielle Estrada hit a solohome run in the bottom of the fourth inning, while Shauntaine Harris and Reyes each drove in a run. Blonka King, Ona Halladay, and Loren Anguiano also came through big for the Red Storm offense.