Printmaker Brings Work to Sun Yat Sen

The Department of Fine Arts is hosting a gallery entitled “Prints and Books: Artist Collaborations with Printmaker Ruth Lingen” at the Dr. M.T. Geoffrey Yeh Art Gallery from August 20 through
October 5.

The exhibition, which is open to the public and free of charge, was put together by Paul Fabozzi, an Associate Professor of Fine Arts at St. John’s and the curator of the art gallery. Fabozzi, a
personal friend of printmaker Ruth Lingen, was able to acquire this traveling exhibit, which displays museum-quality artwork.

According to Moshin Parvez, the director of the art gallery, this exhibit “strengthens our name as a university.” He added, “We are as good as the most renowned schools, or even better.”

For this exhibition, Lingen, whose work has been featured in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, collaborated with various artists, including Chuck Close, Jim Dine, James Siena, and Alan Shields, some of the biggest names in contemporary art.

“We want to be able to bring the crowds from Manhattan to Queens,” said Moshin.

Various printmaking techniques, such as book-making, book-binding, letter press, relief print, and lithography, are used by the showcased artists. St. John’s University has its own printmaking studio run by Claudia Sbrissa, an assistant professor of Fine Arts, making this art exhibit a resource for students who may be studying art.

The next gallery to be featured in the Geoffrey Yeh Art Gallery this upcoming October is entitled “Vietnamese Modernism.” This exhibit will feature selected work from the Vietnam Study Abroad
program St. John’s offers.