Women’s Soccer Wins Two Over Weekend

The St. John’s women’s soccer team continued to roll past the competition with a win over Cornell Sunday afternoon at Belson Stadium. Led by senior forward Krystle Jalalian, with two goals and one assist on a goal, the Red Storm (2-0) swept the Big Red 4-0, as Cornell slipped to a 0-2 record.

Sophomore forward Kelly McConnell scored the first goal of the game a little after the two-minute mark of the first period on an unassisted breakaway, bringing the Red Storm up 1-0. It was not only the first goal of the game, but McConnell’s first of the season. St. John’s defense preserved the lead, keeping Cornell at zero. However, the Red Storm did not score another goal for the next thirty minutes of the first half.

Jalalian netted her first goal of the afternoon at the 33:45 mark off a left-sideline cross by sophomore midfielder Amanda Pasciolla, snapping the Red Storm out of the dry spell. The half came to a close with St. John’s up by two.

St. John’s went on to score two more goals early on in the second period. First, freshman midfielder Raelynne Lee connected on a goal off an assist from Jalalian, finishing a cross lower-right corner shot to the net. About 6 minutes later, Jalalian rebounded her own shot and returned it for a goal.

Early on in the first period, Cornell’s midfielder Mariye Wick attempted the team’s only shot for the entire game. The Red Storm was great on defense, making it impossible for the Big Red to get a clear shot at the goal for the remainder of the game.

The women’s team is already seeing their best goal output since 2004, exhibiting their offensive skills against Cornell, out-shooting them 14-1 and maintaining a 6-0 advantage over the Big Red in corner kicks.