Bat Boy set to premiere in Little Theatre this October

The Chappell Players Theatre Group (CPTG) is steadily pulling together their first production for the 2007-2008 school year, entitled “Bat Boy: The Musical.”

Their first showing will take place at the Little Theatre on October 12, and performances will run through the rest of the month.

“Bat Boy,” a musical that first premiered in October 1997 as part of Tim Robbins’ Actor Gang Theatre, is about a creature who is brought out from the mountains into society and becomes part of the town that discovers him. The show went on to be performed both Off-Broadway and in London’s West End.

The musical won awards during its time Off-Broadway, including the Lucille Lortel Award for best musical and the Outer Critics Circle Award for best musical in 2001.
Junior Tim Young will be playing the role of Bat Boy, and, in preparation for the role, had to shave his head.

CPTG secretary Ashley Keegan and Vice President Vikki De Meo said that the play would be something fun and different.

Auditions for the musical were held in the beginning of September. Bat Boy consists of a cast of 17, though 60 auditioned, and many of those who auditioned were students who were previously in productions over the past two and three years.

“We had a lot of talent that came in,” said Keegan. De Meo added, “But we can’t support a cast of 60.”

The characters, however, shape themselves as it comes to reflect those who act them out, both officers explained.

While the theatre group receives around $20,000 for the year, this budget needs to cover stage sets, costumes, the hiring of directors and choreographers, and equipment to help the show run smoothly.

This budget also needs to cover four productions over the year.

CPTG is still able to keep ticket prices low, though, as they expect to charge five dollars for admissions for St. John’s students and around seven dollars for non-St. John’s students.