Breaking breakfast blunders

Nutrition experts believe that eating well is the key ingredient to any personal improvement and health maintenance plan. For the most part, college students are making unhealthy breakfast choices due to time constraints.

“I’m not really hungry and don’t really have time to eat before my 8:00 class,” said Michael Pottetti, freshman Spanish major.

According to a recent survey of 60 St. John’s students, more than half (35 respondents) said they don’t eat breakfast. The popular rationale was because of time issues.

Let’s face it, the “not enough time” excuse is getting pretty old with both our professors and dealing with our health routines. If students take the time to choose their outfit the night before, why not figure out what to eat as well? Instead of sleeping in, wake up 10 minutes earlier to prepare something to take with you, or pack something the night before, so you can grab it right out of the fridge on the way out.

Dr. Mark Pereira and colleagues at Harvard Medical School analyzed the eating habits of about 3,000 people. The study found that people who eat breakfast were 1/3 less likely to be obese or have blood sugar problems, which increase the risk of developing diabetes, compared to those who skipped the meal.

Eating first thing in the morning may help stabilize blood sugar levels which regulate appetite and energy. The afternoon cravings students may feel during common hour are most likely derived from the empty stomach they left the house with.

“Breakfast may really be the most important meal of the day,” said Dr. Pereira in a RevolutionHealth.com article.

The early birds, as well as the 25 respondents in the survey, believe in the benefits of a healthy breakfast.

“I can’t go without breakfast,” said Kristina Skradova, a freshman and advertising major. “It prevents you from overeating throughout the rest of the day.”

However, encouraging the morning meal doesn’t mean loading up on sugar, fat and cholesterol. The key is to make nutritious breakfast choices that will set one up for healthier eating throughout the entire day. Look for complex carbohydrates, protein and a small amount of fat – a powerful combination that delays hunger symptoms for hours.

When you have no choice but to be on the run, here are some breakfast alternatives that will keep your stomach satisfied and consequently, your waistline slim.

? Fresh Fruit Salad- Slice up some apples, pears, bananas, oranges, melons, grapes, etc., and toss into a fruit salad. Top it off with some fresh lemon or lime juice. Voila!

? Grapefruit with whole-wheat toast & almond butter. Grapefruit contributes to weight loss, and almond butter is healthier than peanut butter, and has more protein.

? Grains – Western bagel= 110 calories and high in fiber. Try whole-grain rolls, hot or cold whole-grain cereals that are high in fiber and low in calories. Kellogg’s All Bran Cereal has 80 calories and only one gram of fat per serving, along with a whopping 10 grams of fiber. Try munching dry ready-to-eat cereal with banana slices and a small carton of skim milk. According to BBC Health News, people who eat whole grain cereals every morning are among those most likely to see the most health benefits.

? Dairy – skim milk, low-fat yogurt cups, low-fat cheeses, such as cottage and natural cheese. Cottage cheese and fruit may sound like an odd combination, but it fills you up.

? Protein – Lean slices of meat and poultry. Try slices of salmon or turkey with boiled or scrambled eggs (egg whites are healthier than the yokes). To spice things up a bit, scramble with a little olive oil, red and green bell peppers, broccoli, onions, black pepper.

? Non traditional breakfasts such as leftover vegetable pizza or scrambled tofu with onions and green peppers. Other countries such as Singapore are up on the cereal drink trend; a combination of soy and grains in a vanilla flavored mixture.

? Oatmeal with flaxseed and blueberries. After cooking the oatmeal, add ground flaxseed and fresh blueberries. Add cinnamon and a little honey, and you have a power meal, full of fiber, nutrients and protein. Also, the organic granola bar trend is on the rise, with companies like Odwalla, Kashi and LunaBar introducing a natural spin on meal replacement bars.
Any of these breakfast options would be a wonderful way to start your day. Whatever choice one makes amidst today’s busy lifestyle, remember, you are what you eat. Enjoy!

$0
$500