Johnnies looking to get the season back on track

The St. John’s men’s soccer team followed up Friday’s dramatic upset over No. 5 ranked West Virginia with a 4-1 win over Pittsburgh Sunday at Belson Stadium.

The Red Storm improved to 4-3-1 on the season, and are 2-0 in the Big East.

“It was a great effort, we knew it was going to be a battle,” said senior Jeff Stepan, who lead the Red Storm in scoring with two goals on the day.

Pittsburgh threatened to score just three minutes into the game, but senior goalkeeper Jason Landers got the save off a shot by the Panthers’ Orane Gordon.

St. John’s responded with three shots on goal, but all were stopped by Pittsburgh’s Jordan Marks to close out a scoreless first half.

Early in the second half the Red Storm got on the board after sophomore Nelson Becerra scored off an assist by Ryan Soroka in the 51st minute, but the Panthers quickly responded off a free kick in St. John’s territory to tie the game at one.

Sixty-seven minutes in, Stepan regained the lead for the Red Storm with his first goal of the day, scoring off a header with an assist from Ben Clack.

Soon after, Michael Luk set Stepan up for his second goal after a free kick in the 71st minute.

Luk then put the game away for good with an unassisted goal, his first of the season, five minutes later to give St. John’s a 4-1 lead.

From there, Pittsburgh’s offense continued to be controlled by the Red Storm, limited to just two shots in the second half.

The win was head coach Dave Masur’s 300th of his career, a milestone which he was modest of in comparison to his team’s aspirations.

“Obviously it was nice, but I’m more concerned about our win in the Big East. It was important today. I’m glad we came in knowing what we had to do.”

The Red Storm hopes to build on its momentum when it begins a three game road trip at UConn this Friday night where the team will look to extend its current unbeaten streak to three.