Softball wins two

The St. John’s University Softball team kicked off the fall season with back to back wins in a three-way tournament against Sacred Heart and Fairfield Saturday afternoon. After a hard fought 2-0 victory in game one, the offense came to life and dominated 8-0 in the second game.

“The pitching was very important in game one, and in the second game the bats warmed up,” said head coach Amy Kvilhaug. “I think this team is starting to see what they can do, which is great things.”

Red Storm freshman Kat Lawrence engaged Sacred Heart’s Meghan Spehar in a pitchers’ duel that was deadlocked until the bottom of the sixth, when St. John’s got on the board after Erin Harris and Chelsea Durning each drove in a run. Lawrence pitched a six-hit shutout, striking out ten.

Game two began with another stellar pitching performance from the Red Storm, this time with freshman Linzee Sumrall allowing only one hit in six innings with five strikeouts.
They also got on the board early, scoring in the second off of Fairfield’s Sarah Minice.

Senior Danielle Estrada and junior Roxann Struble each had two RBI and sophomore Shauntaine Harris went 2-for-4 with three RBI in the game.

Estrada and fellow senior Lisa Geer each had strong performances in both games, with Geer playing with a broken finger.

“The seniors really stepped up and showed a great deal of maturity leading this team,” Kvilhaug said.
The Red Storm are in action again this Saturday at home against Columbia at 11a.m. and against Rutgers at 3p.m.