Sweeping up

After two intense matches with top Big East rivals, the St. John’s volleyball team avoided a let down versus a weaker Rutgers University team with a 3-0 victory.
Two senior Johnnies had big performances for the team.
Senior Wioleta Leszczynska had a match-high 39 assists and contributed five kills, six digs and two blocks.
Fellow senior Hui Ping Huang notched a match-high 18 kills, including a .548 hitting percentage, as well as four digs and three total blocks.
Junior Lena Yee also continued her strong defensive play as she led the game with 12 digs.
However, her two match 20 dig streak was snapped.
The Red Storm immediately ran out of the gate in game one as the team scored the first five points before Rutgers managed to end the run.
The Scarlet Knights were unable to stop the Johnnies momentum and quickly fell in game one, 30-14.
Game two began with less certainty for St. John’s. After a service ace by senior Wioleta Leszczynska and an attack error by Rutgers gave St. John’s a 2-0 lead, the Scarlet Knights answered back to knot the score at 2-2.

The two teams would continue to trade points until the score was 9-9. The Jonnies scored the next three points and never gave back the lead in a 30-15 win.

It was a similar story in game three as St. John’s gave back an early lead and found themselves in an 8-8 tie with the Scarlet Knights.

This time Huang got one of her game-high nine kills to give St. John’s the lead for good in what would be a 30-22 victory in game three.

The win gives St. John’s a 21-3 record, including 6-1 versus the Big East.
The Johnnies will be back in action on Friday when the team heads to Storrs, Conn. to face UConn.