Storm receive slew of awards

St. John’s received numerous awards over the past two weeks, with some recipients receiving their first collegiate awards.
Senior goalkeeper Jaime Beran of women’s soccer was named Goalkeeper of the Week by the Big East. Beran helped the Red Storm with 9 saves in two double overtime victories and over 211 minutes of shut out play against both Connecticut and Providence last week. She was also named to the Soccer America and Soccer Buzz Teams of the Week.

Freshman forward Maria Dematteo also made the Big East Weekly Honor Roll, her first collegiate award this year. Senior Julianna Cohen and sophomore Kelly McConnell were named to the Academic All-District First Team. Despite the awards, the women’s team’s season ended in heartbreak on Thursday with a shootout loss to Rutgers.
Men’s soccer senior captain Jeff Stepan made headlines this week, earning his spot on the Academic All-District First Team from the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

In non-soccer action, men’s lacrosse coach Jason Miller announced seniors Mike Luyster, Tom Michaelsen and junior Matt Viscusi to be the 2008 team captains last Wednesday.

Red Storm Volleyball continues to climb in rankings, this week moving to No. 21 in the College Sports Television/American Volleyball Coaches Association (CSTV/AVCA) with two sweeps over Syracuse and Marquette. The victories extended its winning streak to 22 matches at home this season.

The volleyball team has won 7 of its last 8 matches, improving its record to 11-1 in the Big East and 26-3 overall. It is just the second conference team to clinch a spot in the Big East championship, and is currently behind Louisville in the Big East standings. Senior setter Wioleta Leszczynska was also named to the Weekly Honor Roll.