Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

After reading the 11/14/07 article, “University considers six-day class schedule,” I am left with the thought on how this proposal came about. I think that changing the schedule structure to a six day cycle is outrageous. I believe that the scheduling should remain the same as it is now and continue that way. Saturday classes are pointless because many would definitely not show up due to the possible lack of commitment that some students would have. I believe that would continue if the University scheduled Saturday class particularly since it would be a class that is 85 minutes long and attentions spans would run short. This then would create a concern if students would even show up on a regular day bases to the Saturday classes. You would have many who will either drop the class, withdraw or even possibly be failed out of just because they would not show up to class. Having a six day cycle would create a problem for those who are working their way through college. Many do not realize that Saturday and Sunday are days that students can put in a 12 hour work day to make money to pay for school, or for their bills. Making us go to school on Saturdays will cut our work hour in half and possibly create more problems. There are many other ways to improve our schedule but I definitely do not agree with this proposal and there will be many more who would agree with me.

Nadzije Dzeladini
Class of 2011
To the Editor:

St. John’s University has a wide variety of food, as well as many places to eat on campus. Places like the Marillac Food Court and The Grill in the Law School, are just some of students’ favorite places to eat. However, I don’t understand why these places aren’t open later. When we’re burning the midnight oil and want some real food, not just what’s in the vending machines, what do we do? We paid all of this money to go to this school, the least you can do is let us eat whenever we want to.

Kimberly Fontaine
Class of 2011

To the Editor:

I can understand why St. John’s won’t give us days off on Jewish holidays, but why can’t we get Election day off? If the government is trying to encourage college aged students to vote, then we shouldn’t be in school that day.

Minna Fu
Class of 2011

To the Editor:

I’m in favor of the University adopting the six-day schedule. With common hour being everyday, students will be able to be more involved in extra-curricular activities.

Brittney Desrouleaux