Super Tuesday leaves no clear winner

If you’re a Democrat, Super Tuesday delivered on all of the hype of a potentially epic battle, yet it failed to deliver the one thing that people care about: a winner.

The only real victories won on Super Tuesday by New York Senator Hillary Clinton and Illinois Senator Barack Obama were moral victories. The two candidates both won a fair share of states, but at night’s end neither was any closer to gaining the Democratic nomination for president of the United States.

Hillary Clinton made her mark by winning the states that she was “supposed” to win. She easily carried her home state of New York and neighboring New Jersey. She also won the state of Arkansas, the same state where her husband President Bill Clinton served as governor. Clinton benefited from winning large primaries, which canceled out many of Obama’s victories.

Barack Obama was still able to whittle away at the small lead that Clinton brought into Super Tuesday by winning a slew of smaller state primaries. Obama was the winner of the five states with the least delegates up for grabs on Super Tuesday (Delaware, Utah, Alaska, North Dakota, and Idaho).

As expected, Obama also won his home state of Illinois and did very well in the south, where a large population of African-American voters gave him leverage. He also was able to win a very close race in Connecticut that prevented Clinton from sweeping the tri-state area.

Despite both candidates’ many crucial victories across the country, each seemed to claim their biggest victory in the same state.

The state of California held a pivotal primary election with the fate of a staggering 441 delegates hanging in the balance. While Hillary Clinton won the primary in all actuality, Barack Obama succeeded in obtaining the “split decision” that he hoped for in the days leading up to Super Tuesday.

Obama, who trailed by more than 30 percentage points in the weeks preceding the primary, was able to take enough delegates in the state to claim an overall victory for the day. Obama’s comeback effort in California was so strong that some thought that he could win the entire state.

Fortunately for Hillary Clinton, no such thing occurred. A loss in California would have been a major momentum shift in the race that Clinton could not afford.

Ultimately, Super Tuesday was advertised as the most important Super Tuesday ever. With history making candidates and wall-to-wall coverage on as many as ten networks, politics truly dominated primetime for the first time in years.

Yet, a problem remains. In spite of all of the hype surrounding Super Tuesday, the Democrats of this country are still nowhere near deciding who will be their presidential nominee.

Even with Barack Obama sweeping four primaries over the weekend (Nebraska, Washington, Maine, and Louisiana), the race remains wide open with no end in sight.
Most pundits believe that the nomination could be in doubt up until a decisive Pennsylvania primary in late April or a similar North Carolina primary in early May.

It would not be surprising to see these two evenly matched candidates fight all the way to June 7th for the final 63 delegates in the pivotal territory of Puerto Rico.

It sounds crazy, but this race is that close. So save the hype for later. We’ve got a long way to go.