Trapped in town?

With spring break only a few days away, students cannot help getting caught up in the frenzy surrounding it. The chatter about going away to exotic and warm places can be heard in every classroom leaving images in one’s mind of relaxation, bliss, and care-free days. For those who are not leaving the realm of the Big Apple during spring break, this time off may seem a bit depressing.

Some of you may be forced to stay in New York during the break because of work obligations and studying for midterms. Although this may not seem as appealing as palm trees and sunny skies, it does not have to be all work and no play. New York City holds countless possibilities and events for those of you who cannot go away, but wish to have a memorable spring break.
With winter temperatures still in full swing, ice-skating is one way of having an enjoyable time. For the mere price of $9-12, you can skate in Central Park’s Wollman Rink or Lasker rink under the sparkling stars and bright lights of the big city.

After a day of skating, why not indulge in a tasty treat? Have a cup of hot chocolate in the City Bakery, located on 3 West 18th Street, in the spirit of their hot chocolate festival.

If you enjoy theatrical productions then “The Accomplice: New York” may be just the event for you. This unconventional production takes its audiences on a journey through the streets of Manhattan. You’ll feel as if you’re part of the plot as you walk the city streets, uncovering the details of a well thought-out crime story. Though tickets are a bit pricey, it is well worth the unforgettable experience.

If you prefer old-fashioned theatre productions, there are several options awaiting you. Broadway, with its fascinating and colorful musicals that leave you singing all day long, as well as the inexpensive off-Broadway productions such as the ones at the 13th Street Repertory Company, are both great ways to spend an evening. Another option is the interactive production, “My First Time,” performed at New World Stages. During the play, the audience is given a questionnaire about their past experiences, and once the actors are in full gear the audience may just hear their very own experiences being shared anonymously with the world.

The possibilities do not end there. For karaoke lovers, the perfect place to go on a Friday or Saturday night is Sweet Caroline’s Dueling Piano Bar, where you can sing along to your favorite classic rock songs. In this piano bar, you are in charge of all the songs that are played. All it takes is a single request and the whole bar is singing along to your pick. To take part in this event, a reservation has to be made prior to arrival by phone or e-mail. Singing the night away with your friends for a mere $15 will definitely create countless unforgettable memories.

A trip to one of New York City’s world-renowned museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art or Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Museum is another great option. Many museums have only a suggested ticket price or even offer free admission at night. In addition, new hit movies, dance clubs, and concerts are constantly popping up in NYC, so keep your eyes peeled and you’ll be anything but bored.

So, as your friends pack their bags to go away to sunny climates, think of the opportunities you can have here in the Big Apple and brush that boredom into oblivion.