Lacrosse drops third straight

The St. John’s lacrosse team dropped its first ECAC game of the season to No. 9 Georgetown Saturday in Washington. The team welcomed back to the field senior captain Tom Michaelsen, but even his presence couldn’t help the Johnnies overcome a 13-7 defeat.

The Hoyas victory marks the eighth consecutive time it has defeated the Red Storm. St. John’s is looking to improve on its 2-5 ECAC mark from last season.

“It’s very early in the season”, coach Jason Miller said. “The games aren’t going to get easier, but we have ten games left where we get the chance to
prove ourselves.”

Seven goals by seven different Red Storm players highlighted its performance against the Hoyas. The Johnnies came closest halfway through the second period when it trailed Georgetown by only one goal. An aggressive defense by the Hoyas helped it collect 28 turnovers from the Red Storm and efficient goal shooting helped them capitalize on fewer shot attempts than the Storm.

In his third start, sophomore Gavin Buckley saved 11 shots in goal for the second time this season. Junior Tom Manes posted two assists and Rob Gannon, Drew Schanen and Michaelsen each scored consecutively in a late three goal run by the Johnnies.

“We need a win to help us get some confidence,” Michaelsen said. The senior attack believes winning the remainder of their games is very tangible.

“This is one game,” Manes said, “We can still make a run for it.”

Despite the Red Storm’s positive outlook on the season ahead, it allowed Georgetown attack Brendan Cannon to net four goals and midfielder Andrew Brancaccio to contribute two more.

“We have a lot to be optimistic about and a lot to look forward to,” Miller said.

Miller has had the tough task of herding the program in a winning direction. His 5-8 record last year was the highest win total since the program’s rebirth
in 2005.

Still in search of its first win, the Red Storm move to 0-3 on the season as Georgetown was able to notch its
first win.