Women’s tennis splits weekend, men’s tennis continues to slide

The Red Storm women’s tennis team began its spring break road trip by taking the first match on Saturday against UNC-Wilmington in Norfolk, Va., 5-2.

The Red Storm began the match with a win of the doubles point at No. 1 and No. 3. In singles play, senior Maria Zivcicova led- off by bringing down one of the Seahawks top players, Priscilla Roberts, at No. 1, 6-4, 4-6, 10-7. Alison Adamski continued St. John’s good fortunes by overpowering Kayla Schwenk in two sets at No. 2, 6-1, 7-5. Senior Mariana Chachua and freshman Jenny Yonkus went on to win at No. 3, 6-2, 7-6 (2), and No. 6, 6-1, 6-3, respectively.
On Sunday, St. John’s did not fare well in the last match of its trip to Norfolk against Old Dominion. In doubles, led by Maria Zivcicova and Alison Adamski, St. John’s won at No. 1, 8-4, but went on to drop No. 2 and 3, which gave the doubles point to ODU. In singles, freshman Emily Barnett outlasted ODU’s Barbara Costa at No. 4, when Costa unexpectedly retired out of the game midway through the third set with Barnett leading 3-2. The second point for the Red Storm came from sophomore Ira Aleksova, when she dominated over Daniela Cohen in two sets, 6-2, 6-4. The Red Storm (2-4) fell to the Lady Monarchs (8-5) by the score of 5-2.

The St. John’s women’s tennis squad returns to action tonight to play its second in-conference game of the season when it goes up against Big East foe Seton Hall.

St. John’s men’s tennis was overmatched by No. 74 Florida Atlantic, 6-1 Friday. In singles, the Red Storm lost its top-four singles matches. The lone point for St. John’s was won by sophomore Martin Kosut at No. 5, by defeating Eddie Majcher, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6).