Appreciation week seeks to unite students

The University is hosting a series of events this week as part of its bi-annual effort to bring commuter students together.
The series of events put together by Campus Activities is known as Commuter Appreciation Week.

The events kick off on March 10 with a free breakfast provided by the Student Programming Board and concludes on March 16 with a community service opportunity
sponsored by C.A.U.S.E.

While resident students are able to enjoy events year-round, Commuter Appreciation Week, consisting of one week during the Spring Semester and another during the fall, is a time specifically designed for students who do not live in the residence halls to get involved in activities on campus.

“This year’s schedule is much more extensive,” said Damien Duchamp, director of Campus Activities,

“This time, there are several more programs because of the increase in collaborative effort.”

The University has high expectations for one of the events planned-Casino Night.
The event, which was also held last year, will take place on Thursday, March 13 from 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. in Taffner Fieldhouse.
An Italian buffet, full “mock-tail” bar, and DJ will be present at the event, which, Duchamp mentioned, is meant to serve as both a fun experience and a learning tool.
“It’s really an opportunity for students to get together to have a good time
and learn something at the same time,” he said.

Despite the emphasis on commuter student involvement, resident students are also encouraged to participate in
the event.

The Big East Career Fair, taking place on Friday, March 14 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Madison Square Garden, is an opportunity for both commuter and resident St. John’s students to attend one of the largest career fairs held at the arena.

Students are encouraged to bring a resume to the event since they could meet more than 100 employers from a variety of companies.

A new event added to this year’s festivities is the Defensive Driving Course. The program, which is being offered on March 15, costs $20.

Upon completion, participants will receive a 10 percent discount on their liability and collision auto insurance for three years and learn safe driving tips.

Freshman Steve Kennedy, who lives on campus, seemed very eager to
take part in the upcoming events.

“I’m really looking forward to Casino Night,” he said.

“I think it’s a great way to get kids together and it sounds like it’ll be a lot of fun.”

Junior Sheena Malik, a commuter, shared similar feelings of enthusiasm.

“I’m really looking forward to this year’s events,” Malik said.
“I thought the way that everything was organized last year was great and this year, there are so many more opportunities and activities planned.”

She added, “As a commuter,
I think it’s a great way to get commuters
more involved in events.”