Men’s tennis rebounds with strong weekend

The St. John’s men’s tennis team rebounded on Saturday with a strong effort to win over Binghamton, 6-1, at the Bridgeview Racquet Club in Brooklyn.

The Red Storm came out firing against Binghamton, taking the doubles point with convincing wins at No. 1 and No. 2.

The Red Storm also dominated in singles play. The often dependable junior Artem Vlasenko led off at his usual No. 1 spot and defeated Faisal Mohamed in two sets, 6-2, 6-2. Junior Alex Svetlakov followed by taking the point at No. 2 in three sets. St. John’s best singles player thus far, Gustavo Loza (6-2), went on to win 6-4, 2-6, 10-6 over Sven Vloedgraven at No. 3. Martin Kosut and Pavel Cerny also contributed with wins at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.

On Sunday, the Red Storm were not as fortunate as it fell to Cornell, 5-2. St. John’s got ahead early and took the doubles point. In singles, Cornell played more aggressively and won five of the six singles matches over St. John’s. The lone point in singles came from St. John’s Artem Vlasenko (6-3) by defeating Kyle Doppelt, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3.

The weekend split puts St. John’s at 4-5 overall for the season. The Red Storm are scheduled for a double-header on Saturday, March 15. They will travel to the nation’s capital to face Big East rival Georgetown in the first game and follow with a match-up against Boston College in Washington.

-Ronald Pauta