Women’s tennis hits rough patch on the road

The St. John’s women’s tennis team hit a rough patch on the road, dropping games to Temple and Penn State University over the weekend in University Park.

Saturday’s game against Temple was a hard fought match that went down to the final No. 6 singles match to decide
the winner.

After losing the doubles point, the Red Storm came back strong, taking the singles points at No. 1, 2, and 5. The game was tied at 3-3 going into the sixth and final singles match, where head coach Davidson called on senior Ashley Harper to take the racket for St. John’s. Harper was not able to bring it home, losing in straight sets to Temple’s Felicia Frazier, 6-1, 6-2. The Red Storm lost the game 4-3.

It was apparent that the Red Storm went into Sunday’s game against Penn State with a hangover from Saturday’s loss against Temple.

The Nittany Lions of Penn State came out firing on all cylinders and dominated throughout the entire game to shutout the Red Storm, 7-0. It was the first time that St. John’s had been shutout all season.

The two losses over the weekend dropped St. John’s at 3-9 overall for the season.

The Red Storm will look to snap their current three game losing streak on Thursday when they go up against Queens College at home.