Lacrosse falls to Rutgers, drop to 0-8 on the season

In an attempt to get its first victory of the season, the St. John’s lacrosse offense exploded in the third period with five goals, but it was not enough as it lost its eighth consecutive game to start the season.

“It’s frustrating, I’m frustrated,” coach Jason Miller said. “We have been close a whole bunch [of games]. We haven’t been able to get over the hump.”

Even though they have not won a game this season, Miller still believes in his system that he has created.

“It’s not a matter of changing X’s and O’s,” he said. “We believe in what we’re doing.”

A minute into the third, Trevor Michaelsen ignited the five goal rally. The assist was credited to Tom Manes. A short time later, Dom DeNapoli scored another goal to pull St. John’s within one.

It eventually tied the game with a third consecutive goal by the offense with Malcolm Miles stepping up, making it a new ball game.

But it wouldn’t last long as St. John’s gave up four goals in the matter of minutes. St. John’s midfielder Jack Rosson put another in the net to attempt a comeback, but the mountain was too steep
to climb.

Unfortunately for the Red Storm, the Scarlet Knights answered all five of those goals in the same period and it was not enough for the Johnnies first win.

Seniors Mike Luyster and Tim LaMare displayed defensive aggressiveness by shutting down Rutgers’ offense, stopping it on all seven man-up attempts.

It also forced them to turn the ball over three times.

“We need to play hard,” Miller said. “It’s not enough to score five to six goals. We need to play defense.”