Falling in love

Flying under the radar as far as the Billboard Charts go, Marie Digby has been gaining overwhelming popularity on MySpace, iTunes, Facebook, and YouTube since early 2007.

In Unfold, her first complete album, Digby splashes raw acoustics together with soulful pop rock. Songs that prove her knack for the gritty, soothing melodies include “Say it Again,” “Spell,” and “Unfold.”

Digby’s unique sound combines with her relatable lyrics. While the subject of love and heartache seems rather cliche; Digby presents this topic in refreshing, real situations. “I wake up next to you, oh we’re through with it, I fell in love with a fool, and I know I’m not the only one,” from another plausible hit, “Fool.”

The Los Angeles native began throwing herself into music during her early high school years, but first pierced through the public scene in 2004 when she won the Pantene Pro-Voice competition with her song, “Miss Invisible.”

Following this big win, Digby faced a lull and a rocky road. In an effort to continue her recent visibility she continued to perform at LA hot spots, and by late 2005, eventually signed with Disney’s Hollywood Records.

In September of 2007, Hollywood Records released her EP, Start Here, which included four songs including the acoustic version of Rihanna’s “Umbrella,” and Linkin Park’s “What I’ve Done.”

Again, Digby experienced a let-up from the lack of publicity and promotion. In perhaps her most career-boosting move, Digby began to post simple music videos of herself performing songs on YouTube, while Hollywood Records released a high-quality studio performance of “Umbrella.”

Most recently, Digby’s songs have been featured on numerous television shows including MTV’s “The Hills”, CW’s “Smallville,” ABC Family’s movie “Holiday in Handcuffs,” and Lifetime’s movie “The Dive From Clausen’s Pier.”

Also, Digby was chosen as one of the musicians for Gap’s new campaign “The Sound of Color,” where she wrote and recorded “Paint Me In Your Sunshine,” inspired by the color yellow.

This essentially self-made artist is bubbling just below the surface that separates her from success and experiencing yet another quiet sensation. Check her out on the web and you may become one of her already numerous followers, the ones that are left wondering which version of “Umbrella” they prefer.