Coming soon

There was certainly no shortage of movies to see this summer, and if you don’t mind stretching out the old wallet just a little bit more, you’ll have just as much interesting movies to see this fall. Let’s not waste time. Here are some of the highlights from the next couple of months:

Burn After Reading (9/12): Brothers Joel and Ethan Coen are back at it again this year, but this time they are giving us a comedy instead of a suspenseful masterpiece. Starring Brad Pitt, George Clooney, John Malkovich, Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton, two gym employees (Pitt and McDormand) come across a disc containing secret CIA files and attempt to black mail the true owner, an ex-CIA agent (Malkovich).

While this may not strike it big at the Oscars as No Country for Old Men did, it’s sure to make a solid comedy from the typically outstanding Coen Brothers.

Righteous Kill (9/12): People have been waiting for a Robert DeNiro/Al Pacino team up, and here it is. Unfortunately it does not look to have much to be excited about.

The two play a cop duo on the hunt for an serial killer, only this killer is taking out the bad guys instead of innocents. The potential of this person being a cop has the department feeling suspicious of anything. Let’s hope this doesn’t play out as a fan service and instead delivers the goods.

W. (Limited release 10/17): He’s tackled JFK, Nixon, and now Dubya. But after seeing the teaser trailer and posters, it’s not quite clear if Oliver Stone will be presenting a mockery of Bush’s life or an honest portrayal. What is for sure, though, is that Bush’s youthful party days will play a big role. We’re interested regardless, especially with the cast it has.

High School Musical 3 (10/24): Like it or not, this third of Disney’s money printer (Miley Cyrus and the Jonas “Brothers” fill out the rest) is going to make its mark this fall. The entire cast reprises their roles as they deal with their looming graduation and future. This is a bigger step for Disney, as it springs the series from television to the big screen, but they’re making major cash regardless of how good this is.

Zack and Miri Make a Porno (10/31): It sounds dirtier than it’s going to be. After an appeal, director Kevin Smith brought his new baby down from an NC-17 rating to an R. Seth Rogen and Elizabeth Banks star in this comedy about two friends who are so desperate to earn a dollar, they decide to make an amateur porn movie but realize their feelings for each other in the process. And some say porn is loveless.

Quantum of Solace (11/7): Daniel Craig’s more intense version of James Bond is back and, ideally, just as good as 2006’s hit Casino Royale. Immediately following its predecessor, Solace sees Bond going after Vesper Lynd’s organization but running into Dominic Greene (Mathieu Amalric), a businessman looking to control a very powerful resource. Last year saw a fantastic Jason Bourne film (The Bourne Ultimatum), so Bond has a lot more to live up to this year.

There is plenty else to check out in the coming months especially after Quatum of Solace), but just because we don’t have them all laid out here doesn’t mean you can’t expect any coverage. Look for forthcoming reviews and enjoy your time at the movies.