St. John’s still ranks among top 368 colleges in America

St. John’s University is back on the Princeton Review’s 2009 edition of Best 368 Colleges, which was released on July 28.

The University was recognized on the list for Diverse Student Population, where it ranked 17th.

“St. John’s University is honored to be recognized by the Princeton Review in their 2009 rankings of the Best 368 colleges,” said University Director of Media Relations Dominic Scianna.

“And we are equally thrilled to rank 17th in the category – Most Diverse School -from more than 4,000 colleges nationwide.”

The University was also on the list for Least Accessible Professors for the third year in a row.

This year it ranked in at 8th, its highest ranking on that list ever, after a ranking of 19th last year and 10th the year before that.

Princeton Review formulates the lists, which also includes categories like Tastiest Campus Food (Wheaton College), Best Dorms (Loyola College), Top Party School (University of Florida) and Most Conservative Students (Texas A&M) by polling over 120,00 college students at 368 schools around the country.

“In our opinion, each school in this book is first-rate academically,” said Robert Franek, an author at The Princeton Review. “But their campus cultures and offerings differ greatly. Instead of ranking schools academically, 1 to 368, we tally ranking lists in 62 categories based on what students at the schools (their customers) report to us about them.

We also compile rating scores in eight categories based on institutional data we collect. We believe college applicants need to know far more about schools than an academic ranking to identify which colleges may be best for them. It’s all about the fit.”

Leading the list for Diverse Student Population was another New York City area college, Baruch College of the CUNY system.

The book also includes ratings in eight categories including Admissions Selectivity, Financial Aid and Fire Safety, on each college. New this year is a Green Rating based on the schools’ environmentally-related practices, policies and course offerings. Eleven colleges received top scores in that category.