St. John’s student dies after car accident

A St. John’s student passed away on August 22 from fatal injuries sustained in a car accident in his home state of Pennsylvania.

According to the Pocono Record, Mikael Camacho, 21, from Marshalls Creek, PA, was driving a 2002 Chevy Cavalier on Route 209 in Smithfield Township at 3 a.m., when he lost control of the vehicle while heading into a curve. The car then hit a guardrail before veering off the road and flipping onto its roof into an embankment. No other vehicles were involved in the accident.

Camacho, a sport management major, was preparing to enter his senior year at St. John’s.

The article also reports that Camacho had hoped to intern with Sports Illustrated and intended to spend his last semester studying abroad in Europe.

A funeral service was held on August 25 in Marshalls Creek.

University officials released a St. John’s Central notice on August 27 informing members of the St. John’s community of the student’s passing.

“St. John’s University and the College of Professional Studies mourn the loss of one of our own, Mikael S. Camacho,” said Kathleen Vouté MacDonald, Dean of the College of Professional Studies. “We send our thoughts, prayers and heartfelt condolences to his family during this difficult time.”

Condolences can be sent to: Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Camacho and Family, ?in care of Mary Scholfield, ?Newman Hall – Room 229