Red Storm women out to a 2-0 start

One goal was all the St. John’s women’s soccer team needed Friday night in Delaware. The Red Storm defeated the Towson Tigers in the first round of the Blue Hen Classic 1-0.

The score remained tied at zero for much of the game, until St. John’s freshman forward Jen Leaverton scored her first career goal in the 77th minute of play. Leaverton, who did not start Friday night’s victory, was assisted on the game-winning score by forward Anna Torregiano.

“We worked hard and defended well as a unit, limiting a very good offensive team to only a few chances,” head coach Ian Stone said.

The Johnnies were able to outshoot the Tigers 4-2, with shots by C.J. Ludemann, Amanda Santos and two from Leaverton. The two Tigers’ shot at goal (Brittanny Hadaway and Erica Marshall) but could not deliver for the (1-2) Towson Tigers.

Recording both saves in the net was freshman Kristin Russell, who held down the goal for the full 90 minutes of regulation. Russell who received the Big East Goalkeeper of the week award last week has yet to be scored on this season. This was Russell’s second start in place of the injured senior Rebecca Capinera and her second consecutive shutout.

Head coach Stone emphasized the widespread talent of his team this year saying, “we used a lot of players and it showed a lot of depth. It’s pretty exciting to see how far we can go over the course of the season.”

Russell and the Johnnies must keep up their undefeated ways in the second round of the tournament. The storm will take on host-team Delaware tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.