First goal’s the charm

Add a tournament title to the growing list of 2008 women’s soccer accomplishments.

The Red Storm defeated the Delaware Blue Hens 1-0 Sunday afternoon, in the Blue Hen’s Classic Championship. After defeating a tough Towson team two days before their match with Delaware, the Red Storm remained perfect en route to their hardware.

Three goals are all the Red Storm has needed this season to remain a perfect 3-0. Scoring one goal in each game and not allowing an opponent’s goal has been the means to their success.

“It was important for us to be able to come out and play well in two challenging games in three days,” head coach Ian Stone said.

Impressive play over the weekend from freshman goalkeeper Kristin Russell has not only earned her personal accolades, but also has her team atop the Big East standings.

Russell recorded five saves Sunday afternoon in the full 90 minutes of play. But it was junior Amanda Santos who scored the game winner in the 34th minute of the first half.

The goal was a ten yard kick that was headed to Santos by forward Tatiana Duggan, who tallied the first assist of her career.

Santos’ goal was her second of the young season. Duggan, Santos and forward Kelly McConnell each had two shots on goal as the team combined for eleven shots in the game.

Despite 12 total shots, one more than the Red Storm, the Blue Hens (1-1) suffered their first loss of the season (1-1).

Delaware forward Caitlyn Germain shot at goal three times and Amy Pickard twice. The Blue Hen’s goalkeeper Annie Bevan recorded five saves in net, all coming in the second half.

This season the Johnnies have seen contributions from many of their players and have not had to rely on any one individual.

“We showed the depth we have and we showed the heart and desire to win,” Stone said.

“We demonstrated that we are very well-conditioned and that we have a number of people that can play different roles, and that is going to be very important through the course of the season.”

The Johnnies must retain the diversity of their contributions this weekend as they look to keep their season perfect against Yale.