Activities Fair still draws enthusiasm despite rainy weather

Over 145 different student groups, University departments and vendors helped officially get the semester in full swing with the Fall Activities Fair, last Tuesday afternoon.

This year’s event, held during the beginning of the fall and spring semesters o encourage students to become active in campus organizations, was relocated from the Great Lawn to the University Center due to rain.

Organizers say the poor weather failed to put a damper on the fair.

“Under the circumstances, the event turned out very well,” said Ebony Calvin, director of Campus Activities.

“We were able to transition the event from the Great Lawn to the UC enough time to still begin the event on schedule.”

Junior Anna Chen, who represented the Chinese Cultural Association at the fair, said she looks forward to the event every year.

“I think it’s a great way for the University to get students involved and interested,” she said. “I’m a junior and I still manage to find out about new organizations that I have never heard of before.”

Each group had their own strategy on how to attract new members. RAAZ, an Indian Student Dance Organization displayed a 1st Place dance trophy on their table along with photos and videos of the team in action.

“We want to get girls interested, we all signed up for this group at the activities fair so we know it’s a great way to get people involved,” said Nina Kottakuzhiyil, RAAZ president.

The film club showed movies to entice potential members.
“We’re a great organization with a lot of energy and we just like having a good time doing something that we all enjoy,” said Michael Shove, president of the film club.

Tara Weiss, president of the St. John’s jazz band, said she feels the fair is very important for all St. John’s groups.

“Every year, we look forward to the activities fair as an opportunity to show St. John’s what we’re all about,” she said.
Students said they enjoyed this year’s fair.

“The Activities Fair is always a good way to find out what’s going on around campus for the year,” said sophomore Simran Sewak. “I’m a commuter, so I take advantage of it.”