It’s always funny in Philadelphia

For those fans missing the quirky dysfunctional dynamic of shows such as “The Office” and the late “Arrested Development,” “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” will more than fill the void.

The completely inappropriate and absurdly entertaining half hour comedy series is back in its highly anticipated fourth season with all new episodes designed to shock, satirize and slightly offend.

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” is sort of an anti-sitcom about four friends, and “father figure” Danny Devito, who run an unsuccessful pub in Philadelphia and constantly find themselves in the middle of disastrous circumstances that seem to only get worse as hilarity ensues. The fourth season does not fail to uphold the same blend of comedy and awkward situations that viewers have come to know and love.

The premiere of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” entitled “Manhunters” touched on the subject of cannibalism, alluded to The Most Dangerous Game, repeatedly referenced Rambo, and continuously made viewers both smile and squirm. As for the plot, the gang seemed to have returned to their old routine of wreaking havoc on innocent characters and audience members alike.

Dee and Charlie, played by Kaitlin Olson and Charlie Day, become obsessed with finding out whether or not some of Frank’s (Danny Devito) coveted meat that they consumed without permission is in fact “human meat” as he describes it, while simultaneously, Mac (Rob McEhlleny), Dennis (Glenn Howerton) and Frank become involved in hunting …another person. Although all characters take the tasks that they are pursuing quite seriously, none of them seem to have any idea what they are doing and therefore a nonsensical state of affairs ultimately results.

And if that simply wasn’t enough funny for you, another new episode aired directly after that entitled “The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis,” once again bringing both laughter and slight revulsion. In this episode, when Dee finds out that the man who received all her alleged inheritance from her mother’s death is donating all money to a Muslim cultural center, she recruits Frank and together they become hell bent on catching this man supplying aid to terrorists, but instead end up following and harming the property of an innocent bystander.

Move over Exxon/Mobil, because in the same installment, Charlie, Mac and Dennis resolve to solve the gas crisis in a plot just as preposterous as any other “It’s Always Sunny” episode.

They go about funneling gas into barrels to sell on the side of the road from a lemonade-stand-type booth. When this, not so surprisingly, does not work and as the two story lines converge, the gang ends up destroying two cars and losing all the gas they had purchased in one large scale explosion.

The only possible complaint about the premiere would be that the episodes were simply too short, because I can’t get enough of this show. Though “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” could be called rude, politically incorrect, or offensive, it is always funny, which makes suffering through the improprieties completely worth it.