The doctor is in the “House”

Despite some negative feedback that season four received due to the introduction of a new team of doctors and less involvement of the original team, our favorite Vicodin-popping master of medicine is back to prove that “House” is still capable of gripping drama, witty black humor, and new dynamics that have without a doubt set an exciting path for season five.

Now on at 8 p.m. on Tuesdays rather than 9, the season premiere, “Dying Changes Everything” seems to fit the bill, seeing as this sums up the situation of Dr. Wilson and everyone at Princeton Plainsboro Hospital in lieu of the events at the end of season four.

“House” left off at a two-part finale that chronicled the death of Amber, Wilson’s girlfriend, after she goes to pick up an intoxicated House from a bar. On their way back, they were involved in a bus accident that House has no recollection of, nor the fact that Amber even picked him up. Doctor Chase and Wilson had to help House piece back together his memory, in which they discovered that Amber was in critical condition at a nearby hospital, leading eventually do her death.

The story picks up two months after the shocking events that took the dramatic level of the series to new heights. Wilson has taken some time off from work for bereavement and now has returned, to hand in his letter of resignation. House, while not feeling any sort of responsibility for Amber’s death tells Wilson he needs him to stay, and that “the pain fades.” Regardless of his attempts, Wilson is set on leaving.

Meanwhile, a case arises of a woman who has hallucinations of ants crawling on her body with no matching symptoms. During differential diagnosis, House is disconnected due to Wilson’s announcement. It begins to look like it is solely up to the team to decipher the diagnosis.

Thirteen (Olivia Wilde) begins to identify with the patient as she is unusually calm about her illness, and her boss walking all over her for being in the hospital, and ultimately firing her.

A central theme of individuality and feminism begins to overcome the episode as the team feels as if it needs House’s guidance, and Thirteen doesn’t. She begins to get angry at the patient for not striving to be something more and just accepting her replacement by her boss, reflecting her determination to solve the case without House.

The interactions between House and Wilson have always been the cornerstone of the show, and seeing the possibility that this will come to a startling halt arises many questions about the future of House and the rest of the cast.

“Dying Changes Everything” proves that season five has a lot of potential by proving that even in the first episode that the writers can make riveting television. Hopefully next week’s episode will allude to more about the exhilarating events that seem to be in store for the rest of the season.