SGI meets to announce new student reps and groups

Student Government (SGI) introduced its freshman representatives and continues to review applications from groups seeking to be recognized as legitimate University organizations.

SGI President Dana Lezama confirmed that the freshman class representative election held during the beginning of the semester had record-breaking numbers at the polls. More than 700 votes were cast for the 21 students who ran for the seven freshman positions.

Representing Tobin College of Business are Bryan Perry and Daniel Lobrace. St. John’s College’s representatives are Sabino Curcio and Thomas Olik. The School of Pharmacy and Allied Heath Professions have only one representative, Jennifer Miao.

There are still representative positions that need to be filled. The School of Education needs a senior representative, two sophomore representatives and two freshman representatives.

Similarly, the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions needs two fifth year representatives and one freshman representative. The College of Professional Studies is still looking for one more senior representative as well.

“We are really hoping to fill these positions by the end of October,” stated SGI Secretary Dominic Baccala.

In other business, the Korean American Student Association (KASA) and Women in Business were two groups considered at the October 6 meeting. SGI representatives voted on both groups and it was a majority vote.

In a presentation to student leaders, sophomore Alex Kim made the case for KASA. He said the organization’s goal is to introduce American students to Korean culture and vice versa.

He said that this organization plans to accomplish this through volunteer work, academic lectures and speakers, and events that educate students about Korean culture.

The Women in Business presentation was given by student Julie Mignone. She said that its aim is to provide business related leadership opportunities to women at the University.

SGI approved KASA as a new student organization. However, the Organizations Committee said that Women in Business was too similar to the student organization Women in Leadership and denied Migone’s proposal.

Organizations Committee Chair Chenele Francis said that there are more organizations awaiting approval to organize and that are set to speak before SGI at future meetings. These organizations include Knights of Columbus, Students for Global Justice, Students for a Democratic Society, Model U.N. and Modern Greek Language Honor Society.

The deadline for student organizations to petition the right to organize has passed. However, SGI is still accepting requests for student organization re-activation until Oct. 24.