Students can change habits to shed pounds

College students are no strangers to feeling stressed out. With the massive amounts of homework, long reading assignments and challenging papers, it is easy for college students to forget about eating healthy.

Often, students gain weight when they change their diets and schedule. For example, you might stay up until 2 a.m studying for an exam, or you might even pull an all-nighter to write a paper. This leads to late night snacking, with little activity to burn off the calories.

While it is easy to gain weight on campus, there are various ways to lose weight and stay healthy at St. John’s.

First, it is important to start eating healthier. Montgoris has a salad bar where you can make your own salad loaded with vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots.

Montgoris also has a sandwich bar with a variety of fresh cold cuts and soups, and a beverage fountain with fresh juices such as orange, apple and guava.

For late study sessions, rather than ordering a pizza or Chinese food, consider keeping healthy snacks in your dorm.

In addition to being low in calories, these snacks will save you money, too.

Nutritional bars and 100 calorie snack packs are the most popular choices to keep handy. They can be purchased at any convience store or food store.

However, if for some reason keeping snacks in the dorm is a problem, you can always go to the Hungry Johnny (C-Store) and purchase snacks there.

Opt to buy the healthier options such as Special K cereal or Lean Cuisine microwaveable dinners.

After getting your diet back on track, it’s time to start an exercise plan. Carnesecca is a great place to get started.

Carnesecca, which is open between 7 a.m and 11 p.m, has two levels.

On the first level, there is a variety of body building machines and a dance room. The second level is divided into two separate sections.

On the left side there are more intricate weight lifting options, while on the right side there are cardio machines.

In the dance room, many different classes dedicated to weight loss, toning up and muscle gain are offered.

These include kickboxing, judo, self-defense, yoga, pilates, total body, cardio challenge and ultimate abs.

Not only will these classes give you a great work out, they are a fun and sociable way of getting fit.

With these tips, you are on your way to living an active and healthier lifestyle.