Hundreds march in annual breast cancer walk-a-thon fundraiser

Nearly 700 St. John’s students, faculty, and administrators marched down Queens Boulevard on Sunday, Oct.. 19 to participate in the American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” Walk-A-Thon.

In the past nine years, the University has helped contribute more than $200,000 to help fund ACS programs and aid in cancer research.

“I don’t think there’s one student here that doesn’t have a direct relative or very close friend who hasn’t been affected by cancer,” said Margaret Cashin, Assistant to the VP of Community Relations. “So [students] really do rally around this [event], and we really want to support the students by finding a cure.”

Registration took place at 8:30 a.m. in the UC, where students were provided breakfast and red St. John’s t-shirts. Then, buses were used to transport students to the beginning of the walk at Queens Borough Hall. Once there, they joined over 8,000 men, women, children from local hospitals and advocacy organizations in a five mile walk.

For most students, the day was about uniting with the community to fight for a cause.

“I do it every year just because it is nice,” said junior Jessica Granda. “If it were to happen to me or anyone in my family I would want people to support me, so I just do it to support other people,”
Ixchel Fernandez, who is also a junior, took part in the walk for the first time this year in memory of her grandmother, who died of cancer 17 years ago.

“It’s like honoring her,” she said. “It’s nice giving back to society.”