Postseason hopes not dead

It has been an up-and-down season for the St. John’s women’s soccer team, but with two games remaining on their regular season schedule they are in position to make the Big East Tournament.

St. John’s currently sits in fourth place of the Big East’s American Conference with 11 points. The top five teams from the conference will advance to the Big East Tournament, something St. John’s has played for all year long.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity,” head coach Ian Stone said. “Give credit to the girls, they have been fighting the last two weeks hard to get in.”

With two road games remaining on the Red Storm’s schedule against Providence (0-6-3 Big East) (3 pts) and UConn, (3-3-3 Big East) (12 pts) St. John’s could clinch a Big East Tournament spot with two victories, but most likely get in with one.
“If I were guessing we’d have a pretty good chance at getting in if we went 1-1,” Stone said. “But we would like to win out to get the highest seed possible.”

St. John’s plays Providence on Friday which will be the start of the two games that will make or break their season. They have a chance to catch Connecticut if they beat them on Sunday, but also have to worry about Pittsburgh (10 pts) and South Florida (10 pts) who trail them in the standings.

Pittsburgh and USF play each other on Friday in a game that will be very important to St. John’s. Each team finishes against tough opponents as USF takes on conference leader West Virginia and Pitt plays second place Marquette.

Stone and his hard-working Red Storm are focused on finishing out the season strong, especially for the seniors that are playing in their last couple of games.

“Jackie [James] and Brittany [Cavarra] would like to make it in their last year,” Stone said. “The whole team feels that way because they have worked tremendously hard.”

The goal for the Red Storm is to get into the tournament, but staying away from the No. 1 ranked team in the nation Notre Dame is something they would like to do.

Although Stone said that the way his team has battled against recent opponents Rutgers and West Virginia they can play with anyone.

“We can compete with all of them,” Stone said. “If our mentality is right entering the Big East Tournament it doesn’t matter who we play. The way we defend, our games are going to be close.”

If the Red Storm takes care of business this weekend then they will be back in the Big East Tournament fighting for their soccer lives.

“Bring it on,” said Stone. “Let’s get out there and see what happens.”